This candidate is a member of the Federalist Society.
This candidate is a former member of the Federalist Society. He says he was a member for 1 year. He told the Orlando Sentinel's editorial board he joined because he was interested in judicial philosophy, but it was "more political than I was comfortable with". (Video)
Judge Vincent Chiu was appointed to this seat in 2019 by Governor Ron DeSantis.*
Before he was elected to the Circuit bench, he had 15 years of experience as an attorney. However, it appears he didn't have any experience with the Florida state court system before being appointed.
He began his career in 2004 as Prosecutor in Ohio, trying Criminal cases. In 2008, he began working as a Federal Prosecutor in Orlando. He tried cases in child exploitation, hate crimes, international drug trafficking, terrorism, cybercrime, and white-collar fraud. During this time he also trained and mentored other federal attorneys.
For several years, he was also the primary attorney on the Joint Terrorism Task Force for Orange, Osceola, Seminole, Brevard, and Volusia Counties.
Note: Some sources, like the Orlando Sentinel and Florida Today, have a limited number of free articles before putting up a paywall.
This Candidate Only
- Q&A: Circuit Judge Candidate Voluntary Self-Disclosure Statements (The Florida Bar, 2022)
- Podcast Guest: Episode 86 "Uncultured Bias" of Judicial Underground podcast, June 2022 (6m - 49m)
- Article: Judge upholds Orange County sales ban on puppies, pet shops plan to appeal (Orlando Sentinel, 2022)
- Podcast Guest: Episode of The Umansky Podcast, June 2022 (1h12m)
- Podcast Guest: Season 2 Episode 1 of La Voz Osceola, June 2022 (11m - 49m)
- Podcast Guest: Episode 36 of Legal Morse of Action podcast, March 2022 (60m)
- Article: Bob Saget's family granted permanent injunction to block the release of records (Eyewitness News ABC7, 2022)
- Podcast Guest: Episode 96 of Open Ninth podcast, March 2020 (23m)
- Profile: Florida Circuit Court Judge is a Cedarville Alumnus (Cedarville University, 2019)
- Article: William Bill White Guilty of Sending Death Threats (Southern Poverty Law Center, 2014)
- Video: GOAABA/ACT Judicial Candidate Forum, Circuit Court (1h27m)
- Video: Orlando Sentinel Board Interview on YouTube, Aldo Bartolone and Vincent Chiu, 2022 (30m)
- Video Forum: Hot Topics Judicial Candidates Forum (League of Women Voters Orange County, 2022)
Aldo Bartolone, Vincent Chiu (24m - 34m) Audience Questions to All Candidates (36m - 51m). Audience topics: public schools, handgun owners, Federalist Society, Textualism, maintaining objectivity, judges in the news, racial bias
* Appointed instead of running for election because of a vacancy between election cycles.