9th Circuit Judge, Group 21
In the race for 9th Circuit Judge, Group 21 Circuit Judge Alan Apte is being challenged by Orlando attorney Christy Collins.
- Video: Orlando Sentinel Editorial Board Interview with Both Candidates (31:18)
- Video: Group Forum, 9th Circuit Candidates, League of Women Voters Orange County Part I (53:10) and Part II (7:48)
- Video: Group Forum, 9th Circuit Candidates, Greater Orlando Asian Bar Association (1:44:26)
Alan Apte (Incumbent)
Alan Apte was elected to this seat in 2002. He has served in every division and every courthouse in the 9th Circuit. As one of the most senior judges in the Circuit, he feels his wealth of experience is valuable because of the backlog of cases that the pandemic has caused. He feels it is important to not just rule on a case, but to explain his thoughts behind his rulings for each case. Before he was a judge, he had experience as a prosecutor and civil litigator.
- Article: Judge Alan Apte Lewd Molestation Case Reassigned | Spectrum Bay News 9 | Oct 2020
- Video and Q&A: Candidate Alan Apte Interview for ESR Hob Nob | Oviedo Winter Springs Regional Chamber of Commerce (Video 15:54)
- Video: Positively Osceola's Coffee Club Discussion with Circuit Judge Alan Apte (24:18)
- Article: Chief Judge set to return Apte to Bench | Orlando Sentinel | 4/2005
Cases in the News
- Charges dropped for Markeith Loyd's niece as bond reduced for ex-girlfriend, boss | Orlando Sentinel | Feb 2017
- Apopka teen sentenced to 6 years in girlfriend's killing | Orlando Sentinel | Nov 2016
- Winter Garden man gets 45 years for killing disabled man in home invasion | Orlando Sentinel | Nov 2016
- Man gets 2 life terms for killing son's mom | Orlando Sentinel | Sept 2016
- Bruce Fuller case: businessman sentenced to 20 years for killing friend | Orlando Sentinel | July 2016
- Charges upgraded for man accused of abusing dead toddler's siblings | WESH 2 | June 2014
Christy Collins - Winner (51%)
Christy Collins is an attorney with eight years of experience in private practice with specialities in Real Estate and Contracts. She has also been a Traffic Hearing Officer. In this position she ruled on traffic cases. She has 14 years of teaching experience and is a licensed minister. Collins is running for this seat because of a lifelong aspiration. She says she has a servant's heart. Her weakest area of law is criminal court. She would learn the specialty and notes that any new judge does the same in areas outside of their specialties.